Archive for the ‘Book Design’ Category

Getting the framework into shape

Wednesday, December 29th, 2010

One of the first things i have to do, once i’ve received all of the bits and pieces of the book (manuscript, art, maps, and whatnot), is that i have to figure out a general overall look and design for each of the pages. I always strive to create something interesting, but at the same time doesn’t get in the way of being able to read the thing. And, if at all possible, enable the book to exhibit some of the feel and mood of the book.

In the case of Arrius Lurco, i wanted it to reflect a bit of the Roman era in which it’s situated. That means no gothy/destroyed fonts, or futuristic laser blasts bisecting the pages. Last week, i was able to get something together in my brain that i thought would work for the main content of the book, and after some tinkering and scanning and tweaking and cursing with InDesign, i’ve got something that i’m confident will work. I sent off an example to Tom at MRP so he can get an idea of what the pages will look like…and whilst i await his reaction, i’m continuing to plug away. Now that i at least have a framework to use as a foundation, i can start the big task of getting all the content in. If there are changes that need to be made with the page design, i can always alter them in the master pages later.


Monday, October 25th, 2010

Due to the subject matter of the two upcoming books i have (Ancient Rome for Arrius Lurco, and [blank] for Project: Top Hat), and my, well, lack of  encyclopedic knowledge of history, i’ve been doing research on both eras. So far i’ve been uncovering some interesting architecture examples that i hope to weave into the layout styles for both of the books. I’ve still got a ways to go, but i’m already getting a decent handhold on how they’re both going to look.

I’ve also got to check out some fonts- that’s up next, after i pour through the books i’ve checked out of the library. It’s tempting to rely on teh intarwebs for images, but i don’t want to run into a situation where i use something that most everyone has already seen, or worse, used.

Of course, i need a contract from MRP, and i’m still working on some revisions for More Adventures…and no word yet from Scott at Pagan. *cues hold muzak*

…..and i think we’re done!

Wednesday, October 6th, 2010

The handouts are done, “page xx” bits have been wiped out, the credits have been updated…i think it’s safe to say that “Bumps in the Night” is finally finished! Hot damn!

I really need to give a special shout out here to Propnomicon, a person whose amazing prop work i’ve admired from afar for over a year. I was stumped recently on how to create one of the handouts needed for a particular scenario in the book, and contacted him for some advice. Prop went far, far beyond what i was asking for, and made this gorgeous handout! I’ll see what i can do about posting a picture of it at some point.

Anyway, i still need to get sign off from Scott at Pagan, and do my own final inspection, but i think this guy is good to go. *whew* Now maybe i’ll get a break before resuming work on the BRP Magic Book…

The last push for Bumps, and a new project

Friday, September 24th, 2010

I’ve gotten the last list of corrections that i need for Bumps in the Night, and am actively plugging them in. Fortunately it’s less than 3 pages worth, so not much of a big deal. I also got a font i needed. The sticky wicket right now are a couple of handouts i need to make, which i’m not terribly experienced at. I’ve somehow managed to rope in someone else who might be helping me out with this…if that happens, i’ll expand on this later. But even the advice is appreciated- i sure as hell am not at the level of the HPLHS guys.

And since the project’s getting announced, i feel safe in talking about it here: i’ll be designing The Legacy of Arrius Lurco, a new Cthulhu Invictus campaign written by Oscar Rios. Should be fun! More information about that book can be had here.

I haven’t had much time lately to work on Project: Pineal Gland, which sucks, because i’ve had it on my brain a lot recently. There’s a convention coming up next February that i’d love to playtest it at, so i’m hoping i can get it done before then.

Introducing Project: Top Hat

Thursday, September 16th, 2010

I met with Charlie at Chaosium last Friday to discuss some things, and show him the latest on the BRP Magic Book. The layout is pretty much done, but in going over it, we both agreed that the last section of the book needs a couple of art elements for it, so i’m working with Freezer Clown to get some more images.

I also received a new assignment, which, as i’m not sure i can reveal yet, will just call for now Project: Top Hat. It’s going to be a pretty major book for fans of Call of Cthulhu, and i’m excited as hell to get working on it.

Bumps is still looming at around 98% done; all i need is a couple of handouts and the logo…

More Adventures from Lovecraft Country is out!

Thursday, August 5th, 2010

The latest book that i did the book design and layout for, More Adventures in Lovecraft Country, should be hitting the shelves of your local FLGS shortly, if it hasn’t already. More Adventures contains six adventures set in and around Akrham, and is for the classic era.

I’m really proud of this book- the writing is strong throughout, i had a lot of fun doing the layout, and it’s chock full of amazing handouts by the guys at the HP Lovecraft Historical Society.